Mar 1, 2015

SENAI KIZHANGU CURRY

      
My mom never cooks Senai Kizhangu. But I have tasted in my hostel during college days. After my marriage when I started to cook I wanted to try my hands on Senai Kizhangu but my hubby was telling no. He was not even allowing me to pick this vegetable from the shop.
On one fine day he nodded his head and I prepared this Senai Kizhangu curry.It was yummy with sambar sadam and curd rice. Many people will be scared due to the itchy nature of yam. It can be removed by adding tamarind water. But it is better to get yam and keep it for few days. When it gets older there is less of its itchy nature.
INGREDIENTS
Senai kizhangu
½
Tamarind
A lemon sized
Sambar powder
1 tbsp
Turmeric powder
½ tsp
Fennel seed powder
½ tsp
 Mustard seeds
½ tsp
Urad dhal
½ tsp
Oil  
2 Tbsp
Salt
To Taste
Curry leaves
few
STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE
Peel the skin of Senai Kizhangu/Yam  and wash it well.
Chop into small squares.
Soak tamarind in hot water and extract the juice. Boil tamarind juice add turmeric powder,salt.Now add the yam and cook until it is soft.
Drain the water and keep aside.
Marinate the yam with samabar powder,fennel powder,salt for 15 mins.
Keep it aside.
In a frying pan heat oil add mustard seeds,urad dhal ,curry leaves.Then add the marinated yam.
Keep the flame in medium and fry until it gets roasted.
If needed drizzle some oil. Transfer to a serving bowl.
For variations you can also add ginger garlic paste,asafoetida.
Serve hot.


1 comment: